Term Four and a few reminders

Welcome back everyone to the last term of our 2014 school year.

This term we are exploring Communication and the many different ways we do this.

The title :  Tell me a story 

Essential questions:

What are the different ways we communicate?

What is a story?

How have Aboriginal stories been told?

What Australian stories teach us about the Christmas message?

Our religion unit will tie  in closely with this as we explore .”Our place in God’s Creation”

Today the children took photos with the IPADS and completed a Y chart of what they can See Hear and Touch in Gods wonderful creation. The children took some great photos including cocoons, birds, slaters, weeds. flowers, new buds. leaves, trees etc.

This week the children will be asked to collect items of creation to bring to school from home. Each home group will then set up a creation display area and a sacred space for prayer.

cropped-winnie-1uz7ezd.jpg

Literacy focus:

Reading– Dreamtime stories

Writing- Recount and Narrative.

Spelling– Students will continue to bring their spelling words home each Monday to be tested with their buddy each Friday.

Maths Focus:

Times tables- 2X  5X 10X  3X 4X ( when students are ready they can place their name down at school ready to be tested on the recall of these). Feel free to teach them any times table tricks you may know.

Remember children will learn and recall these when they are ready and have an understanding of what they mean. It is important that they are not raced but are given time to think before the answer.

Length and Area

Number: Counting Place value, Addition Subtraction Multiplication and Division

Transition:

This term we are grouping the children each Thursday morning into Year levels and rotating between each of the teachers in a range of oral language activities promoting communication. It is also a valuable time for us to watch the children working together as we consider groupings for next year. If you have any issues or concerns, it may be worth having a conversation with the relevant home group teacher.

A few reminders:

• Hats must be worn each day. Full summer uniform to be worn by week 3
  • Please ensure all drink bottles, containers, hats etc. are clearly named. Our Lost Property bucket is growing by the day.

A few dates to remember:

Tuesday 14th October– Casual clothes day

Friday 17th October– Japanese Day

Monday 20th October– Drama Incursion

Monday 27th October– Incursion- Aboriginal Art and storytelling with Paul

Tuesday 28th October_ Commonwealth Bank Incursion

Monday 3rd November– School Closure Day

Tuesday 4th November– Melbourne Cup

Tuesday 11th November– Remembrance day

Saturday 15th November– Country and Western Fair

Monday 8th- Friday 12th December- swimming week

Wednesday 10th December– Carols 6pm

Thursday 11th December– End of Year Mass 9a.m.

owl

38 thoughts on “Term Four and a few reminders

1. Thank you for all the information included in the post, it is great to know what the learning focus areas are for the term. It looks like it is going to be a busy and exciting term ahead.

• If you know any Dreamtime Stories Emily, let me know. Maybe we can look up some together.
      Mrs F 🙂

2. hi
    I really hope that we can do some great learning this term. I love the fact that we get to do
    times tables In maths. I can not wait to the sun is out.

Charlotte H 🙂
    2/3 F

• Hi Charlotte,
      I might try and put some times table games on the Blog this week. There are lots of great patterns in the times tables.
      I love the longer daylight days and the sunshine too, Charlotte. I just went for a walk and saw so many beautiful blossoms and flowers. Spring is great!!!

• Hi Mrs F
        we just went for a walk too and we saw two kangaroo’s in the distance. By the way I’m looking forward to term four.

• Hi Tahlia,
          That reminds me of a story too. I went for a walk with my friend at a place called Birdsland. It has a beautiful lake and lots of birds. While we were walking a dog chased a kangaroo into the lake. My friend and I thought it would drown. But guess what! It swam all the way to a small island in the middle of the lake. I wish I was under water with goggles to see how kangaroos swim.
          Mrs F.:)

3. To 2/3 F,

I’m really looking forward to telling a story. I am working on one. I have learned my 6 times tables. Nature RULES!!!!!!

Emily O

• Hi Emily
      Let me know when you want me to test you on the 6x tables. I think the trickiest ones are 7×6, and 8×6.
      I can’t wait to read your story 🙂

4. (Sorry about last time, computer glitched)

Looking forward to all the fabulous learning!!!

Emily O

5. I reckon I will have good days this term and that I will learn lots of stuff. I am looking forward to learning my times tables even if they are hard. I am excited about the fair.

• I reckon you might learn lots of stuff too, Ben. If you are good at your double numbers you already know something about the 2x tables.

• I might try and put some times table games on the Blog this week. There are lots of great patterns in the times tables

• Hi Emilie
      Everyday always has one or two surprises, I think.
      Who knew we would have a big daisy chain on our prayer table yesterday?
      Today I am teaching drama in the morning. I wonder who in our learning community loves to act?
      mmmmmmmmmmmmmm??????

• Hi Mrs F
        I hope I am in your class next week because I like acting.
        See you tomorrow 🙂

• It was good fun doing drama in the Hall. I’ll let you know what date you have drama on, so you can put the date in your diary tomorrow.
          Mrs F.

6. Hi Mrs Fotopoulos!

Once upon a time, me and my family went to sydney, and we all had a blast! On the way, we stopped by at a ship which had a lot of stuff. BTW, i’m researching dream time storys right now…

1 x 6 = 6

2 x 6 = 12

3 x 6 = 18

4 x 6 = 24

5 x 6 = 30

6 x 6 = 36

7 x 6 = 42

8 x 6 = 48

9 x 6 = 54

10 x 6 = 60

11 x 6 = 66

12 x 6 = 72

(P.S, can you test me on my 2 times on friday?)

Also, im looking forward to glorias birthday tommorow!

Best Luck,

Emily

7. Why the stories are told

told by Aunty Beryl Carmichael

My name is Beryl Carmichael and my traditional name is Yungha-dhu.

I belong to the Ngiyaampaa people, come from the Ngiyaampaa nation and the area we’re in now belongs to Eaglehawk and Crow.

I’m a storyteller as well and all the stories have been handed down to me by my people. I am now custodian of about twenty-eight stories.

The stories are a wonderful and a valuable tool, an education tool in teaching our children. The ‘Dreamtime’ stories as they are referred to today, we didn’t know that there was such names for them. Because when the old people would tell the stories, they’d just refer to them as ‘marrathal warkan’ which means long, long time ago, when time first began for our people, as people on this land after creation.

We have various sites around in our country, we call them the birthing places of all our stories. And of course, the stories are embedded with the lore that governs this whole land. The air, the land, the environment, the universe, the stars.

The stories that we are passing and talking on today, we are hoping that, some way, it will help our people-and our children, our young people in particular-to get a better understanding about the lore that governs our lives today.

No matter what we do, there is always guidance there for us and the guidance comes through in the stories. And the direction that we are giving to our young people on how we expect them to grow up. How to listen to the old people, but also, never to be disobedient. We must never be disobedient; we must always obey the instructions of our old people and people in authority; always do the right thing; never be greedy; never be a thief and so on.

So all these little things are embedded in the stories to our children. That’s why the stories are so powerful as an education tool when we’re teaching our young kids. We must always refer back to the stories because they’re the ones that’s going to give them the guidance that they need today.

Stories of the Dreaming – Introduction

Storytelling is an integral part of life for Indigenous Australians. From an early age, storytelling plays a vital role in educating children. The stories help to explain how the land came to be shaped and inhabited; how to behave and why; where to find certain foods, etc.

Gathered around the camp fire in the evening, on an expedition to a favourite waterhole, or at a landmark of special significance, parents, Elders or Aunts and Uncles use the stories as the first part of a child’s education.

Then, as children grow into young adults, more of the history and culture is revealed. Adults then take responsibility for passing on the stories to the following generations. In this way, the Stories of the Dreaming have been handed down over thousands of years.

All the storytellers you will meet on this site are active in keeping the stories alive and passing them on the next generation.

These are stories of the history and culture of the people, handed down in this way since the beginning of time, since the Dreamtime.

In the Beginning was the Dreaming

Wandjina made Earth and Sea and everything. He gave Man to live in this Earth, for this World, this Tribal Country.

In parts of the Kimberley Region of Western Australia exist the homelands of the mighty Wandjina. Painted mainly with red, yellow and black lines over a white background, their outline figures stand out boldly from their resting places. Their strange, piercing eyes give a haunting appearance to their faces, which line certain cave galleries.

The Wandjina control the rains and the pattern of seasons which replenish the resources throughout the Kimberley:
    This is Wandjina. There was a time when this Earth – he made Earth and Sea and everything. This is Wandjina – he made people. Wandjina is Wandjina. He gave Man to live in this Earth, for this World, this Tribal Country. He put the Wandjina in the cave for him to remember this Wandjina, to follow his laws, to go about the right ways …

Aborigines believe that the Wandjina give rain. Then it says that the Earth is hot and that it breathes; the Earth it breathes, it’s a steam blow up, and it gives cloud to give rain. Rain gives fruit, and everything grows, and the trees and the grass to feed other things, kangaroos and birds and everything.

With the completion of their earthly tasks, each of the Wandjina turned into a rockface image. There, the Wandjina spirits continued to live. It is possible for new life to emanate from the figures adorning the cave walls – to re-enter the physical world as unborn children.
    Such places are sites to which local Aborigines have a deeply spiritual attachment. Not everyone can go there. For those without the right to enter, they are very dangerous places:

Although the paintings represent the bodies of the dead Wandjinas, the spirits of the Wandjinas live on in much the same way as the Aborigines believe the spirits of human beings continue to exist after their death.

These Wandjina have considerable powers and the Aborigines are careful to observe a certain amount of protocol when they approach the paintings, fearing that if they do not, the spirits might take their revenge.

This protocol normally consists of calling out to the Wandjinas from several yards’ distance, to tell them a party is approaching and will not harm the paintings … Should the Wandjinas be offended, the Aborigines believe that they will take their revenge by calling up the lightning to strike the offender dead, or the rain to flood the land and drown the people, or the cyclone with its gales which devastate the country.

The Australian Aborigines speak of jiva or guruwari, a “seed power” deposited in the earth. In the Aboriginal world view, every meaningful activity, event, or life process that occurs at a particular place leaves behind a vibrational residue in the earth, as plants leave an image of themselves as seeds. The shape of the land – its mountains, rocks, riverbeds, and waterholes – and its unseen vibrations echo the events that brought that place into creation. Everything in the natural world is a symbolic footprint of the metaphysical beings whose actions created our world. As with a seed, the potency of an earthly location is wedded to the memory of its origin. The Aborigines called this potency the “Dreaming” of a place, and this Dreaming constitutes the sacredness of the earth. Only in extraordinary states of consciousness can one be aware of, or attuned to, the inner dreaming.
    –Faces of the First Day:
    Awakening in the Aboriginal Dreamtime
    by Robert Lawlor

The Australian Aborigines believe that long, long ago the earth was soft and had no form. The features of the landscape were created as the result of the heroic acts of ancestral spirits, who often assumed the form of animals. The origins of land shapes—mountains, deserts, and water holes—echo these events, which the Aborigines refer to as Dreamtime. For at least fifty thousand years, the Aborigines have maintained the traditions of Dreamtime through stories, music, dance, art, and ceremony. And in the land around Kakadu, this tradition is honoured today.
    Animal Dreaming:
    AN ABORIGINAL
    DREAMTIME STORY
    by Paul Morin

Acknowledgement: The dreamtime stories used in this website have been accessed from website:

http://www.dreamtime.net.au/dreaming/index.htm

Top

• Thanks Emily. Reading the information has helped me to understand more about the importance of Dreamtime stories. Tomorrow morning we are going to look carefully at one of the most popular dreamtime stories. If you Google Dust Echoes you will find lots of short films telling dreamtime stories. Have a look.

8. Hi Mrs. F
    This term will be great fun!
    Maths in your group has been awesome I’m learning lot
    of new things about times tables and division! The Inquiry topic, The Dream time
    is very interesting!

Emmerson W 2/3B

9. Sorry, My mum won’t let me have the ipad and im not allowed youtube.

Though I want to stay in at lunch time or recess and I’ll look up dust echoes =)

Have a great weekend

Emily 🙂

10. 9,576 views
    30 likes, 16 dislikes
    Aboriginal Dreamtime Story – Minecraft

StealthinatorX’s channel
    Subscribe11
    Uploaded on Oct 16, 2011This is a remake of an Aboriginal Dreamtime Story called Brolga. We filmed this in about 2 days. Don’t expect TOO much from us cos we’re only a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds and this was for a science project 😀

Please take 1.43 seconds to like and subscribe for more videos.

P.S. Creeper_Boss isn’t the real Creeper_Boss – we filmed in a private server xD
    Flag as inappropriate

This is a great story I love it and it has a meaning.

Maybe show it to the class?

BTW, I loved tiddalick

11. I cant wait for my b’day!!

Mrs F, Japanese day was a blast!

To bad you missed it 🙁

Anyways, im leaving for a holiday on wedensday since my grandad and aunty have bought a shop and the mayor is opening it on saturday. I need to be there! i GET FREE PIZZA!

-Emily 🙂

12. On the second week of the Thursday mornings when we are in our groups did mrs Bradfords group do drama with you by the way I was with Abbie m and jess r